The innovation that emerged as a need of the hour has become a new normal in Covid19. Several companies across the globe are actively using online rooms to conduct their meetings. One such online meeting space that gained immense popularity is Zoom.
Maybe the negligence or fumble with the sound settings on Zoom already has added an embarrassing moment in your life. Caught you? Well, to your relief, you are not only one, but we can also assure you of that. In this article, we will explain to you how you can adjust the volume of your microphone or speaker on your Zoom before starting a meeting and attending it.
Change Volume Before starting a Zoom Meeting
When you attend a meeting, it’s necessary to ensure that the sound of Zoom is perfectly set. One of the ways to ensure that the sound is on the right level is to set and verify the sound settings before joining a meeting. For this, you have to follow only seven simple steps, which are as follows:
- The first and foremost step is to launch the Zoom client either on PC, mobile, or Mac.
- After the Zoom application is launched, tap on the setting icon, which sits on the upper right corner of the window.
- On the left side of the screen, select the Audio settings from the list mentioned.
- After choosing Audio settings, a panel of different audio settings will appear on the right side. There, you can easily use the sliders to lower down the volume of the microphone or speaker. In addition, you can also crosscheck the volume of the microphone or speaker by testing it and then adjusting the levels to ensure you’re heard or be able to hear right.
- Choose the test speaker tab and listen to the sound to test the speaker. If you can hear it right, then choose Stop. But if you cannot listen to it, you should select another test speaker from the menu.
- To check the volume of the microphone, choose the test microphone tab. Speak in for a few seconds and record your voice to hear it later. After speaking for seconds, the recording will start to play afterwards. If you can properly listen to the recording, then well and good. Otherwise, you can select another microphone from the drop-down list.
- If you don’t want to adjust the volume manually, you can let Zoom change it by itself. You just have to select the Automatically Adjust Volume to allow Zoom to adjust the microphone’s volume.
Change Volume During Attending a Meeting
In this section, we will explain to you the steps by which you can lower down the volume while attending a Zoom meeting:
- Firstly, you have to open the Zoom application on your PC or Mac.
- After you have joined the meeting, a dialogue box will pop up on the screen. It will ask you whether you want to join the session with a test speaker, microphone, or audio. You can choose to test either the speaker or microphone by choosing Test Speaker & Microphone. Afterwards, follow the instructions as the app tells you.
- Next, select the Join with Computer Audio if you’re going to listen only.
- Now, if you want to adjust the audio volume while attending the meeting, you have to tap the arrow nearby to the Microphone icon. Afterwards, select the “Audio Settings” tab from the drop-down list that appeared.
- Once you’ve opened the Audio settings, then you can use the slider to lower down the volume of your speaker or microphone if it’s high.
How to deal when the Audio on Zoom stops working?
Worry not! It is a common issue that you may experience audio issues on Zoom. If this has happened with you as well, then in this section, we will explain how to solve the microphone or speaker issue on Zoom.
Troubleshooting for Speaker Issues
In case your speaker is experiencing issues on Zoom, then follow the below mentioned simple steps:
- First off, ensure that your speaker on Zoom is turned on. Sometimes, what happens is that you forget to turn on the same, which may cause the audio not to work. To solve the issue, tap on the speaker icon on the left side of the screen.
(Image source: Zoom Support)
- If the speaker is turned ON, but still, your speaker isn’t working, then check your device’s volume. What happens is that even if your speaker’s volume is max on Zoom, but if the device volume is muted or on vibration, then the speaker won’t work. Therefore, just increase the volume using the volume button or through the notification panel.
- If the first two cases are not the causes, then it is a possibility that maybe your voice may not be able to reach through. So, try using earphones to transmit a clear voice to the speaker.
Troubleshooting for Microphone Issues
In case your microphone is experiencing some issues, then follow these simple steps to solve the same:
- First off, ensure that the microphone is turned ON. If the audio icon is left turned off by chance, then tap on the same to unmute the mic.
(Image source: Zoom support)
In case, even after trying to unmute, you’re still muted, then it means that the host must have muted you when you joined the meeting. Therefore, ask the host to unmute you in a chat message.
- The Zoom app must have access to your device’s mic. In case if the same is not allowed, then follow these steps:
- For iOS: Open the settings. After that, select the privacy and then choose the microphone. Therein, turn on the Zoom icon.
- For Android: First of all, open the settings. Therein, select the Apps & Notifications > App permissions or Permission manager. Lastly, select the microphone. Afterwards, turn on the Zoom icon.
- Make sure that your device’s audio is connected when you’re using Zoom. If you spot the below mentioned Join Audio icon in-meeting controls, then press it and choose call over the Internet. In case of any prompt, give access to Zoom to your microphone.
(Image source: Zoom Support)